News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Firewall bushing

Started by French Frie, June 10, 2013, 21:49:14

Previous topic - Next topic

French Frie

Hi Graham,

did the same, and I've tightened it as much as I can, to prevent any move in the adjustable system, which is useless on a Cobra anyway ! even at its highest setting, it is still too low (and lower than other Cobras)! the best would be to throw it away ...

westcott

Turning item 4 around the tube 180 degrees would give 1 tube diameter height in addition....if needed and the column cover modified.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

French Frie

Great tip, Uwe ! By the way, the bushing won't fit [:(] ... The column is actually triangular, but is modified BEFORE the firewall to become round (not like the Ford one) and have a splined end ! So the bushing has to be round and 3/4 of ID ...

French Frie

Update... As the Ford bushings didn't fit, I decided to make it on my own. Here's the column:

You can see the triangular shaft, and the splined end which was obviously welded by AC ... The diameter is not  3/4" (like MGB), but  only 14mm (9/16")!

Here is the plate that supports the bushing :

So, I took a piece of nylon, and made a bushing ..' But unfortunately, I don't have a lathe, so have to be creative [;)] ! The requested diameter is 22mm (OD) and 14mm (ID)

The inner hole is enlarged :

And bushing is fitted to the plate :

To be continued ...

dkp_cobra

Olivier,

if you fix your drilling machine in a bench vice it's nearly a lathe [:)] Nice work.

Is the welded UJ still ok? My has some clearance and since it is welded it is not easy to replace. A work for next winter.

Regards,

Peter

French Frie

Hi Peter,

I have no play in the U-joint... But I plan to replace it anyway, as well as the second one, by a Flaming River combo with an intermediary D-shaped shaft, and a firewall bearing ! But as you say, it will be a winter project... within a MKIII dashboard conversion [;)] !
   But before, I need to drive, now the summer seems to be here, hence this fixing ...

French Frie

Ok, the re-assembly is a bit more complicated than expected [:o)] !

In fact, when I wanted to insert the steering shaft in the firewall bushing, the column has retracted ! The triangular shaft is just inserted in the column housing, and slides !

So I had to remove the column :

Here is the shaft with its triangular bushings :

And the 9/16" welded end  :

And the column housing with its pressed triangular section to fit the shaft :

And for the record, the worn bushing:

French Frie

Ok, everything is reassembled... And it works great ! But I really do not like this (useless) adjustable  system ! Anyway, as said, i'll shortly throw all that mess away [;)] !

jbottini

FF, I had contemplated a switch to a VW system, not for nostalgia, but to get more space into cockpit fof my 6'1"  a d at time 250# former, the larger wheel would give better ratios for low peed steering as well. The question...are you enjoying the "red head"?

French Frie

undoubtedly [;)] !  we've now passed the 4.000 miles together, and we're still in love... that's why I want her to keep evoluate, and invest on her ! VW switch is already mine, with other parts, and an alloy MKIII street dashboard from Nick Acton (http://actoncobra.com/)is on its way to do it ...

By the way, I'll let ACOC members know, but Nick's job looks perfect, with a lot of quality parts for original cobras, and for the dashboard(I asked him flat ends to match the MKIV), he seems a lot less expensive than european solutions...

jbottini

FF,
   Treat her nice or she'll tell! I miss driving her!
   Jim

jbottini

F.F.,
   I assume you re using the front fold down ate end listen cue bracket that was with the car?
   Jim

French Frie

Jim, sorry, but either some letters are missing, or my english skill is too low to understand ... Could you rephrase , please ?