News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

front wheel brakes

Started by Jam2, August 28, 2012, 10:49:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Jam2

Could someone advise me as to when front wheel brakes were adopted on the vintage AC?  Was there any modification to the location of the front axle to cope with them?

Old Crock

quote:
Originally posted by Jam2

Could someone advise me as to when front wheel brakes were adopted on the vintage AC?  Was there any modification to the location of the front axle to cope with them?

On the Six - 1927, I believe - some cars of that year, plus some of  earlier production, were subsequently converted to four-wheel brakes - some (all?) most likely at the factory I would think. Some existing cars, of earlier provenance, both 4 and 6-cylinder, have definitely been converted to four-wheel brakes.

The 1928 sales brochure for the 6-cyl models makes headline feature of 4-wheel brakes, standard then on all versions.

(Sorry, don't know the answer to your second question).

Hope that helps...

Jam2

ACOCArch

quote:
Originally posted by Jam2

In 1914, and possibly earlier, front-wheel brakes were offered as an option on the AC Sociable at a cost of 3 guineas.

The AC Sales Catalogue dated July 1st 1926 records the 12-40 4-cyl Sports, the 16-66 Four-seater, the 16-66 Montlhery Sports and the 16-66 SFE Special having 4-wheel brakes as standard. I have not found mention of an option of 4-wheel brakes for the other 4- and 6-cyl models in this catalogue,  all of which had 2-wheel brakes as standard.

Bruce's  January 1926 Monte-winning car, a 16-66 SFE Special, was fitted with 4-wheel brakes.

I cannot find any indication of the chassis mods required with 4-wheel brakes. I expect as a minimum there would be detailed differences for example on the brake pedal and to accomodate brake linkages and the back-plate, and possibly front hub design and steering arm position and/or clearances.

Is there an 'A' frame on the front axle of these cars, as per the earlier transverse leaf-spring chassis?

Michael Rose

The 1927 Acedes drophead coupe I campaigned as a student had brakes on the front, almost certainly originally-fitted.
   Absolutely zero provision for torque reactions other than quarter-elliptic front-spring location (clamp and bolt each spring)... and after I'd improvised some cable-adjustments one sunny sunday, the barely-adequate stopping power of the car suddenly became considerably more noticeable. The curious outcome was that, in contrast with it's previous nose-diving attitude when stopping, under hard braking, the front of the car would now rise up.
   Dunno how it would behave 50 years later.... the present owner is still trying to find time for even further on-road research....