News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Mk 1V cooling problem

Started by nick Godridge, September 24, 2012, 11:35:44

Previous topic - Next topic

nikbj68

You could have the issue where the fan & the `stat are fighting each other, rather than working together, so maybe worth considering!

French Frie

@BBK: I can't see the sense of switching thermostat ! neither to remove it, as I've often seen on british cars that I've bought in the past ...

regarding the thermostatic switch, I found on Club Cobra website that the Lucas SNB748 may fit our radiator, and it looks so :

I'll order one and let you know...

PS: BBK, you can see on this picture the cutting in/cutting off temperatures [;)]...

Flyinghorse

One thing to check is the location of your fan thermo switch .
   My CRS (Stroked 302 non standard) has it on the highest point of the engine (not on radiator)in the metal heater hoses right above the water pump. Not ideal as this area will allways be the hottest part of the system,and explains why my fan runs on a lot when I stop. Saying that its also close to where the gauge temperature sensor is mounted.
   Some schools of thought say wire in your fan to a dashboard switch and junk the automatic system.
   Another CRS (and MkIV?) thing to watch is airlocks. The bleed on the top of my CRS radiator did not  run back to the expansion tank-so I fitted a long rubber hose that I can vent to air then block off. The MKIv engine bays I have seen show a bleed hose back to an expansion tank.
   A lot of the aftermarket kits have a thermo couple that slips under the radiator top hose and an adjustable setting.
   Incidentally I run a milodon full flow thermostat that I got from performance unlimited.
   http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Milodon/Product-Line/Milodon-High-Flow-Thermostats/

One other thing to consider is that in an effort to fix "so called " running hot problems,your timing may have been adjusted in the past (more advance dialed in),so thats worth checking. (Retarded ignition timing causes overheating)

I concluded that the installed gauge & sensor are relative junk-crudely calibrated at the 90degc  point(20DEGC INCREMENTS?) ,all electrical so placing ones faith in this as gospel is foolhardy. I also bought an infrared gun (Fluke) and it confirmed that my gauge is showing about 10 degc to hot. (And it measures AGA temperatures!)

Graham

BBK

quote:
Originally posted by French Frie

@BBK: I can't see the sense of switching thermostat ! neither to remove it, as I've often seen on british cars that I've bought in the past ...

regarding the thermostatic switch, I found on Club Cobra website that the Lucas SNB748 may fit our radiator, and it looks so :

I'll order one and let you know...

Thanks for the information!!
   PS: BBK, you can see on this picture the cutting in/cutting off temperatures [;)]...