News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

2 litre sports saloon brakes

Started by roger_hudson, November 25, 2012, 02:10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

roger_hudson

My 2 litre (1951) broke down in September at the Fojnica (Bosnia) old-timer show because the front brakes locked , the temperature was over 34 celsius (probably a temperature unimaginable in Thames Ditton in the late 1940s)and they only unlocked after a period of cooling. The point is when i went under to adjust the cams I found the front brakes are twin leading shoe, when was this modification introduced, my manual mentions only single leading/trailing?
   This led me to think about improving the power of the rear brakes, what are the possibilities?

B.P.Bird

If you change the rear set up to two leading shoes, assuming you could solve the handbrake actuation problem, I doubt you would detect much difference going forwards,the majority of the braking action coming from the front axle. However it is likely a different story in reverse when all servo action will be lost and stopping could become an exercise in right leg muscle power.