News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Alan Turner

Started by Chafford, July 16, 2012, 20:40:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Chafford

I was sorry to read about the death of Alan Turner, Chief Engineer of AC cars at Thames Ditton during arguably its finest period, in this month's 'ACtion'.

As his son Godfrey noted, he was rarely credited for his achievements, but I was interested to read his favourite design was 'A98' which was the only design he had been allowed to complete with a free hand.

My condolences to his family.

TLegate

Very sorry to hear the news. I paid him a visit in 1979 and following a long conversation, even though he was unwell then, I realised the scale of his contribution to the Cobra and many, many other projects! Also sorry that certain folks took advantage of his good nature to 'paint him' out of the bigger picture in order to direct the credit elsewhere...but what else is new? A real gentleman.

aaron

I have recently been informed that John Owen died yesterday, the AC flag at the AC Building was flown at half mast today.

Photo courtesy of Steve Gray.