News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Overdrive blown up - Help please

Started by AcecaRacer, June 10, 2011, 20:03:29

Previous topic - Next topic

AcecaRacer

I have just finished rebuilding my race motor and it has speced out at 144BHP.  I have a standard gearbox and overdrive.  In my first race last weekend, I found my gearbox starting to slip when under load, eventually becoming completely useless halfway through the race.

I do not believe it is the clutch as the clutch is new and there was no smell at all.  My mechanic believes it is the OD.  I did not hear any sound, bang or anything when I eventually lost the ability to move forward.

Prior to the rebuild, the OD was working fine with no sign of slipping.  However, I was running about 85 BHP at that time.

So, my questions are these:...

Has anyone else experienced this?  Do you think it is the OD?

If it is the OD, can I just pull the OD off and put on the non-OD tail shaft with a shorter drive shaft and be done with it?

Is there an OD designed to handle higher HP?  I don't need it for track racing, but I do need it for rally's and road racing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
   Rob

AC Ace Bristol

Rob.

What clutch are you running ..[?]

Most of us in the  UK especially for competition use upgrade to a 8.5 inch Heavy Duty Diaphram Clutch and use a 8.5 inch Competition friction plate.  ( MGB GT )
   The throw on the clutch release has to be measured and adjusted/ shimmed accoringly.

If the O/D unit burns out and ceases to function  I would have thought you would still have drive, same as if O/D was not engaged [?]
   I could be wrong.. [;)]

What sort of noise and gearchange problem did you experience prior to loss of drive ..[?]

Keith ..[:)]

AcecaRacer

I actually received no real noise at all.  The gearbox just started to slip.  Acted a bit like wheel spin. I would press the accelerator and the car would move forward then the revs would jump up and then it would catch and then the car would move forward.  A bit like if I were to rest my foot on the clutch a bit causing a slight slip.

Again, I did not smell anything like a burning clutch. I did not hear anything like grinding gears.  It just started slipping to the point where it acted as if the engine and gearbox were no longer connected.

AC Ace Bristol

Rob

Four questions for starters:-

Could you change gear or engage gear from nuetral .[?]

What free play have you on the clutch pedal and the clutch slave cylinder.[?].

Level of clutch fluid in the reservoir..[?]

Looking through inspection cover on top of bellhousing has the clutch gone over centre..[?]

Just trying to establish cause of problem without being hands on.

Have you constant pressure on the clutch pedal, does it fade or improve by pumping...  sorry thats question  5 and 6

Keith..[;)]

AcecaRacer

It looks like we have found the problem...broken stub axle.

The Woodruff key has shorn.

So...a couple of questions arise from this:

Where can I get replacement parts?
   Are the stock stub axles strong enough?
   Has anyone upgraded to cobra stub axles?

Thoughts?