News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Greyhound mascots

Started by Flagship, September 03, 2024, 22:53:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Flagship

I'm having a short run of radiator mascots cast from my original Louis Lejeune greyhound. They're triple chrome plated bronze and will be either mounted on a timber plinth or on a radiator cap, I had some brass copies of my original example made. They will be able to be taken off the plinth and to be mounted on a car if you have a radiator cap but I fancied one to look at in my house and a replica if I was concerned about having my original one stolen.

The proof sample is being finished now and on first inspection it's very good. When I see the finished sample and it's ok it shouldn't be too long for them to be available. There aren't that many of them but they will be good.

I've attached a photo of the radiator caps with my original that was copied, going to be chrome plated next week.

Some are already spoken for but if anyone is interested in having one for their car or desk/mantlepiece just let me know. 

Old Crock

Can you tell me please what stampings are on the original mascot, and where positioned?

Thanks!

Flagship

There's LL on its rump, AC logo in small letters on the side and Greyhound of the Road under its feet. There is a number on the other side but I've omitted that as it's specific to my example.

It's a lovely thing.

John

Old Crock

And is the LL in a circle, or not?

Flagship

No it's not. It's two overlapping Ls.

Old Crock

Greyhound mascots were a common design in the 1920/30's, representing speed, sleekness and grace - a natural choice for Lincoln Motor Co in the mid-20's, then later their parent company Ford. Accessory companies also manufactured and sold the greyhound. One design, by Casimir Brau, was expensive then and still is today, now an Art Deco collectors' piece. Lalique designed a car mascot showing the greyhound intaglio.

I believe the AC design was first sold as an accessory by Lejeune. The early ones are nickel. They seemed to have been adopted by AC owners. These show the 'AEL' logo of Augustine and Emile Lejeune. A greyhound mascot with AEL stamping, and the AC logo next to it, presumably was a factory order noting customers' likes.

The Lejeune company was under the control of their son, Louis, in 1933. These mascots have a stamped 'LL' but the lettering itself changed in style later becoming more simpler, the LL using straight lines.

In 1933, under the Hurlock management, AC cars were again at the London Motor Show and the brochure for 1933 shows an Ace model with a greyhound adorning the radiator. This greyhound has the front legs extending forwards. The later AC Greyhound model was also illustrated with a mascot. The mascot was not standard, across the range, though most likely offered as an optional extra. The later mascot has the dog's legs tucked-up. These are chrome.

Lejeune continued making this greyhound design (they had others) and it was still being offered only a few years back. These have the LL letters in a circle. Another consideration is that a current member (of long-standing) had a batch of mascots made for the club, many years ago, by Lejeune and these I understand had the AC logo and were numbered. I do not know if any were numbered in the 1930's though there was no reason then, unless possibly to recognise a 'batch' being produced.

Flagship

Good info, thanks for that.
The greyhound looks the part on the car so those who want one can have one even if they weren't on every car.