News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

AC sociable,reverse

Started by Grahame, March 19, 2011, 21:31:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahame

HI, I am currently restoring a Sociable B model. I have recently been informed that some of the later vehicles might have been fitted with a reverse gear, possibly as an option ,does anyone have any info regarding this,. Grahame

ACOCArch

Dear Grahame

The 1914 Sales Catalogue for the A-C Sociable includes the following:

Gears - A two-speed epicyclic gear of very strong design is fitted giving the following ratios:- 4 1/2:1 high. 12 1/2:1 low. For hilly districts we recommend 5:1 high, 13 3/4:1 low. (Reverse gear can be fitted at an extra charge of £5.)

A similar statement appears on an undated Catalogue for the Auto-Carrier (1911 or later as it is Thames Ditton).

I can find no mention of reverse gear for the 1911 Norwood-made Sociable.

Regret I have no engineering information to indicate how reverse was achieved.

The only Warrick Motor Carrier, circa 1915, I have seen used the Auto-Carrier engine and possibly other components. You might find some help by searching on http://1914warrick.wordpress.com/
   or other websites. It seems all of the Warrick Company archives are at the National Fiets Museum Velorama (National Bicycle Museum) in Nijmegen, The Netherlands.

Don't be confused by some of the registartion numbers! Warrick was based in Reading England. But, some had AC registration numbers, which came from Warwickshire!

Do let us know how your restoration goes please, and any info you can pass to the ACOC Archive would be gratefully received!

With regards

John