News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Le Mans Classic - AC Ace Bristol

Started by Chafford, March 06, 2010, 18:27:53

Previous topic - Next topic

AC Ace Bristol

Louis

Great Photo's

However .. Outcome  ..Not Surprising !

Watching, Listening &  Flinching..[V]..[:(]..[V].. To Jaques driving Bertrands Ace Bristol BEX1205, it is obvious that he has little or no sympathy and understanding
   to the Working Internals of a Bristol Engine & Bristol Gearbox,  Converting Synchomesh to Synchromess..[:0]

The Bristol engine likes to Rev for sure but revving over 6000RPM is pointless as maximum torque is some 700 /800 RPM lower and the Synchro on the Bristol box
   is really smooth and very good, [:)] Well it is on all the Ace Bristols I've driven or been passenger in.

A great cars full potential ruined by one embarrassing Pilot who should really know better.  Sorry, Louis my remarks are not entente cordial, but I wouldn't let  Jean Jaques
   any where near BEX333.  Let alone loose on a race track..[V]

Keith..[:)]

Louism

Yes Keith,

Very understandable if you keep in your memory that Le Mans 2008 video, shame for Jean-Jacques.

To complete your comment, I think to go fast the combination car + driver must be at the top.

3 targets for the car: weight, power and roadholding.
   As far as I know Bertrand wants to play in the rules and BEX1205 has nearly riched the maximum on those different points.
   This is a wonderful car to drive...on the track, definitly not for a ride on the Riviera with your girlfriend ! It's quite unconfortable and I'm afraid you would have to choose rapidly between the two babies ! [:D]

Le Mans track is a lot different today from what it was fifty years ago. At least four chicanes in the modern trail (before Dunlop bridge + 2 in Mulsanne straight + Ford chicane before finish lane) and a very technical sequence from Arnage to the arrival to replace the "pedal to the metal" old circuit (except famous White House curve where John Woolfe crashed his 917 in 1969)

So what ?

Aces at the end of the fifties were in 5 minutes for one lap, in my research for the 1957-1962 topic I found a record at 4'50"10 for the Gachnang BEX289 in 1960 practises.
   Jean-Jacques best lap is 5'44 with BEX1205.
   Looking at the difference between "D Type" from now and before (around 70 seconds), it's possible to say Bertrand's car could be quicker than period Aces.
   BUT...
   BEX1205 is not made for a 24 hours effort at that average !

However and that's what I want to say since I started my demonstration:

It is impossible to lap in 5'44 in Le Mans with an Ace Bristol without "being tough" with the machine.

The car is close to the limit, the driver too and ...you can see the result in 2008 and 2010.

Some drivers are even tougher with their cars than Jean-Jacques, Goodwood Revival spectators know that !!

It's realy a pleasure for me to write on your forum.

Cheers and rendez-vous at the "AC Ace Bristol at Le Mans 1957-1962" topic as soon as possible...[;)]

Louis