News:

SMF - installed December 2017.
Returning members - please use the 'Forgot Password' function when logging in to the new Forum for the first time. If you have changed your email address please let me know so I can update it.

Main Menu

Help from CRS owners in particular - what is this?

Started by C9OBY, February 22, 2010, 15:35:59

Previous topic - Next topic

C9OBY

Hello to CRS owners in particular

I am trying to identify a few parts / connections as I reassemble various parts of my car (MKIV CRS Cobra).  Photos below highlight specific items:

Photo 1: Electric connections near the starter motor that do not reach anything in particular.  All other wires in the area are connected / starter motor already has two connections fitted.

Photo 2: Another connection off the wiring loom that appears to have nothing to connect to.  This one is back left of the engine bay and comes off just below the engine block / just above the sump.

Photo 3: Unidentified rubber mount with customised cutting.  It looks like it's been modified to provide support, but I cannot find anywhere on the car that appears to be missing something like this.  First thoughts were that it was used beneath the front of the fuel tank as extra support, but there are no corresponding holes etc in the floor of the boot area.

Hopefully someone familiar with their CRS can take a look around their car and provide asssitance/ photos.  Any help much appreciated!

Bruce

Mark IV

Wire loom ends are for items not used on the CRS, i.e. A/C compressor, etc. The engine used by Luby & Co. was sourced from Ford production and therefor "dressed" for the Explorer it was designed for, all of which have A/C, power steering, heated pre-cats, etc. which the CRS does not. Redundant.....

C9OBY

Many thanks.  It's the answer I was hoping for (I have no more parts in the bin to play with!) and I will now tape them off.  Frustratingly, some of the loom ends have 'dead-end' plugs fitted, but others do not, making retrospective identification without photos very difficult...

nikbj68

That`s a big old chunk of rubber. is it definitely 'custom' or could it have worn to that shape? Looks like the holes weren`t used, so it could have just been wedged in somewhere?

C9OBY

Hi Nick, an odd item  indeed.  It has definitely been intentionally cut into this shape, but as you say the holes don't look used.  There is a faint trace around the base suggesting that it may have been held in place with a silicone-type sealant but even that could be a red herring as there was no glue/silicone etc on the item itself...  Whatever was holding it in place is not visible anywhere in the car.  What am I missing?

Superarnie Mk2

Hi C9OBY.

Please look at a thread within this CRS/Superblower/Mk4 forum created by 'gblue' on 1st January 2007. It is entitled
   "What the $%#@ are these" (Page 9 of threads).

There is a picture of a rubber block which looks similar to your own and wondered if they were the same or performed the same function as yours.

Regards

Gary

C9OBY

Hi Gary

Thanks for your reference, but unfortunately mine is quite different, especially shape-wise.  Still no idea where it goes though...

Cheers
   Bruce

terry3000me

Bruce why not ask Rodney (CRS Registrar)and ask him to pop the bonnet of his car and take a look - just a thought.
   Terry

nikbj68

C9OBY

quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Silly question, but, where did you find it?

Not a silly question, but the answer won't help.  I found it in the bottom of a very large box that was full of all the bits & pieces that were stripped off the car before it underwent repairs.  Most were catalogues (or easy to identify) but I'm waiting for the team that did the initial strip-down to get back to me in case they remember this particular item.

I've almost completed the rebuild, with just a few items left on the to-resolve list.  Hopefully I'll be back on the road for shake-down testing within the next few weeks...

Bruce

nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY...Not a silly question, but the answer won't help...I'm waiting for the team that did the initial strip-down to get back to me in case they remember this particular item...

Great news about your progress, and fingers crossed the strippers will be revealing for you! I was thinking it`s possible it was a foreign body that got put into your box, but if nothing rattles, I guess you can live without it!!!

1984MkIV

quote:
... I found it in the bottom of a very large box that was full of all the bits & pieces that were stripped off the car before it underwent repairs.  ... I've almost completed the rebuild, with just a few items left on the to-resolve list.  Hopefully I'll be back on the road for shake-down testing within the next few weeks...

Bruce

Is there anybody out there who reassembled a car without parts left? Who cares? Congratulations to your "Lightweight" Cobra!

Michael